Red Beans and Rice Picka
- April 04, 2021
Red Beans & Rice Picka
- 6 tbsp. Butter
- 1 cup chunked Tasso
- 3 cups chopped Yellow Onions
- 1.5 cups chopped Celery
- 1.5 cups chopped Bell pepper
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 4 tbsp. Chopped Parsley
- 4 tsp. Fresh Thyme
- 1 lbs. Andouille Sausage chopped
- 2 lbs. Ham Hocks
- 3.5 tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 2 lbs. Red Beans
- 12 cups Chicken Stock
- Pinch of Cayenne
- 1 tbsp. Pickapeppa Sauce
- 3 tsp. Pickapeppa Hot Pepper Sauce
- Soak red beans overnight in water with garlic salt (3 inches of water above the beans)
- Drain beans before starting to cook
- Melt butter in large pot.
- Add tasso and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add chopped onions, celery, bell pepper, and a dab of cayenne
- Cook down on medium heat
- Add bay leaves, parsley, thyme, a few pieces of sausage, and ham hocks
- Add garlic, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add beans & chicken stock, mix very well
- Add Pickapeppa Sauce and Pickapeppa Hot Pepper Sauce.
- Bring to a boil
- Simmer on low heat uncovered for about 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally
- Cook sausage in separate pan, serve alongside red beans and rice.
NOTE: It takes several hours to properly cook red beans. To help thicken the beans, turn the flame low and mash some of the beans against the side of the pot and stir.